Copyright Corrina Tough 2011

Monday 16 May 2011

Life 2- I am just like you....

I was looking through some of my shots and thought I would share some of my son Jesse's year 10 formal photos. Well that's pretty ordinary you might say- but he's not just any ordinary guy- he's the best, funkiest teen, full of love and life, loves bike riding, x-box, dvd's, movies, hanging with family and friends, cooking a bbq and heading to the beach. Huh? isn't that what all teens are into? Sure! the one and only difference- Jesse has DownSyndrome an intellectual disability (although i hate the term). This was nearly two years ago now but I was reminded that although there are some very closed minded individuals in the world there are still some gems out there. We wanted Jesse to experience his formal like all the other teens at his school- get dressed up, and arrive in a hot rod. I started to ring companies that hire cars and the first phone call the guy on the other end of the phone said- I don't do that any more- what is it for? I told him it was for the formal and mentioned about my son- so touched by our story he said that he still had his cars and would love to take Jesse free of charge for a ride and then on to the formal- he gave him the option of picking which ever car he liked and the owner/driver even got all dressed up with double breasted suit and fedora hat! As a mum I was given so much joy and if only a picture could have captured the cool look on Jesse's face and the surprise on all the teachers and kids when he arrived and stepped out of the car! However, I was having a sook and couldn't click quick enough to capture that look!

1 comment: